What You Should Know about Homeowners Insurance and a Vacation Home

Purchasing a vacation home is a lot like purchasing your primary residence, but there are some things you should know about insurance coverage. If you have a second home or vacation home in Sandpoint, ID, you should still have insurance. First, check with your primary homeowner’s policy to see if your policy could cover the second home or certain aspects of it.

Your second home insurance policy will depend on how you are using your home. If you are going to be renting out your vacation home, you will need to make sure you have more comprehensive insurance policy coverage and maybe a policy that covers the loss of rental income if the home is destroyed. This way, you can make up some of the rental income you could be missing out on. If renting out your vacation home, you may also want additional liability insurance or an umbrella policy to provide you coverage if someone is injured on your property. Make sure your insurance agent knows about how often you are renting out your home, so you can have the best policy to protect your investment.

Remember that just like with a traditional homeowners insurance policy, there are some things that aren’t covered, like floods or earthquakes. If you want our vacation home to be covered from these perils, you will need separate policies. Second homes may be riskier to ensure since much of the time they are left vacant. You may find that it’s more expensive to insure than your primary residence. Ask your agent at The Insurance Shop USA to see if there are any discounts available, such as for having a security system installed.

Contact an agent at The Insurance Shop USA serving Sandpoint, ID to get a homeowners policy for your vacation home.