My Landlord Has Property Insurance: Do I Really Need My Own?

Landlord insurance is the traditional form of insurance for landlords. It protects them against financial loss caused by tenants’ accidents or damage to the property. It also protects them against lawsuits and fines. You may think this is enough to protect your property as the renter, but that’s a misconception. Learn more about renters insurance from The Insurance Shop USA of Sandpoint, ID.

What Your Landlord’s Property Insurance Covers:

The most common types of landlord insurance are property coverage and liability coverage. Property coverage insurance covers the cost of replacing damaged property and repairing it. It also pays for the cost of lost rent. Most landlords buy liability coverage, which protects them against lawsuits and fines.

Some landlords also buy additional coverage for their personal property like appliances and furniture, should they be renting out a dwelling that includes these items. However, this does not cover your own personal belongings that you bring into the rental.

What Renters Insurance Covers:

Renters insurance protects your personal property and possessions in a rental. It offers protection against loss, damage, or theft. This means if your laptop or other valuable electronics are stolen, you are covered. You are also covered if you accidentally cause damage to the property, such as by spilling a drink.

A renters insurance policy can also give you liability protection. If you are sued for an injury or property damage caused by your actions, or those of your family, you are protected.

If you temporarily lose the use of your rental due to a covered loss, such as a fire, your renter’s insurance policy will cover the cost of living somewhere else while your property is being repaired.

Are you interested in a Sandpoint, ID renters policy from The Insurance Shop USA? Reach out to us today!